Toenail fungus may seem like a minor issue to some, but those who experience it know the difficulties that come along with the condition. For both aesthetic and health-related reasons, the prevention and treatment of toenail fungus should be a top priority. If your toenail fungus keeps coming back, Dr. Hochstein at Great Neck Family Footcare has the experience to provide you with the treatment you need today!
Symptoms of Toenail Fungus
When you look down at your toes and see your nails look different than they normally do, it can be a cause for alarm. If the below symptoms are present, chances are it could be toenail fungus:
- Distorted shape.
- Brittle, crumbled, or ragged nails.
- Thickened nails.
- Whitish to yellow-brown discoloration.
Causes of Toenail Fungus
While toenail fungus is more common in older adults, it can affect anyone. Understanding the common causes of toenail fungus is a great way to help manage the situation or prevent it from occurring in the future. Walking around barefoot in damp communal areas such as gym locker rooms, shower rooms, and swimming pools is one way to increase the risk of toenail fungus. Conditions such as athlete’s foot and psoriasis can also increase the likelihood that your toenail fungus keeps coming back. Fortunately, there are ways to mitigate the likelihood that your toenails are affected by this.
Treatment & Prevention
No one wants to walk around dealing with toenail fungus. It can be a serious hit to your self-confidence and just an overall unpleasant experience in general. Toenail fungus can leave the nail permanently damaged or lead to other serious infections that may spread throughout the body if left untreated. If your toenail fungus keeps coming back, there are some preventative actions that can be taken such as:
- Trimming nails straight across, smoothing edges with a file, and filing down all thickened areas.
- Using foot powder.
- Washing your feet regularly.
- Wearing sweat-absorbent socks, changing them throughout the day.
- Wearing proper footwear in locker rooms, public showers, and pool areas.
However, if your toenail fungus keeps coming back regardless of what you do to prevent it, Dr. Hochstein at Great Neck Family Footcare can help treat it! There are several treatment methods commonly used to rid toenail fungus, including:
- Medicated nail cream – You may be prescribed this cream to be rubbed on the affected area after soaking. This allows the medication to access the fungus below the nail.
- Medicated nail polish – You may also be prescribed a special nail polish known as ciclopirox to be painted on the affected toenails. A fresh coat is to be applied every day, starting fresh every seven days.
- Oral antifungal drugs – Oral medications such as Lamisil or Sporanox may be prescribed by your doctor. These medications allow for the affected nails to be replaced by a new one.
- Surgery – If your toenail fungus keeps coming back even after the above measures are taken, surgery may be necessary. However, the procedure would simply be a removal of the affected nails so that a topical antifungal drug can be directly applied to the underlying fungus. Permanent removal of the nail may be suggested in cases of severe pain and infection.
Contact Us Today!
If your toenail fungus keeps coming back, it may be time to seek treatment from a professional. With modern facilities at his disposal, Dr. Hochstein can offer you state-of-the-art care to irradicate your toenail fungus once and for all. Get a handle on the situation by contacting Great Neck Family Foot Care today!