Have you recently noticed a bump forming at the base of your big toe? Has this bump been slowly pushing your big toe over your smaller toes? If you’ve answered yes to these, you’re likely dealing with a bunion. While bunions can be painful and unsightly, they are also preventable. To learn more about how you can keep your feet protected, please schedule an appointment with our lead podiatrist Dr. Alec Hochstein.
The first step in preventing bunions is understanding the cause of them. By steering clear of these stimulants, you’ll mitigate the likelihood of needing to see our expert podiatrist for treatment. Some of the most common causes to watch for include the following:
- Wearing ill-fitting shoes too often.
- Having a genetic predisposition to bunions.
- Placing excess stress on your feet.
- Sustaining an injury to your foot.
- Living with inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.
Best Prevention Methods
When it comes to preventing bunions, there are numerous routes you can take to be successful in this endeavor. Our team recognizes this, which is why we want to share with you some of the best ways to maintain bunion preventative care. To keep your feet protected, our team at Great Neck Family Foot Care, recommends doing the following:
- Avoid wearing shoes with high heels and pointed toes when possible.
- Wear shoes that have a wide enough toe box to prevent friction.
- Perform exercises like picking up small objects with your toes to strengthen your feet.
- Constantly monitor the shape of your feet so you can see the early signs of bunion development right away.
Symptoms That Require Treatment
Even after taking measures to avoid bunions, sometimes, they can still develop. Seeking out treatment right away will help lessen the likelihood of them becoming severe enough to warrant a surgical procedure for removal. When you notice any of the below symptoms, be sure to contact our team right away:
- You experience ongoing foot pain.
- Swelling or soreness around the base of your big toe.
- A noticeable bump near the base of your big toe begins to develop.
- Limited range of motion.
Great Neck Family Foot Care
At Great Neck Family Foot Care, we understand the importance of foot care. If you’d like to limit the chances of developing bunions, you’ll need the advice of an expert team of podiatrists. For more information regarding this, or to schedule an appointment for treatment, don’t hesitate to contact us today!