Nobody who has experienced a fungal toenail infection would ever say it was a pleasant situation. However, though it is a painful and embarrassing problem, there are fortunately several options you can look into in order to fully treat your fungal toenail infection. In this post, we will take a look at one of the fungal toenail infection treatments that is arguably one of the best out there: laser treatment.
- How Long Does Laser Treatment Take? Unlike extensive, evasive, traditional surgeries, laser treatment often takes less than an hour. After the brief treatment appointment, you can expect to visit the podiatrist a couple more times over the course of the next two to three months for follow up appointments. Most podiatry centers include the cost of these appointments in the cost of the entire laser treatment, so you never have to worry about hidden fees or extra expenses.
- Is This a Safe Form of Fungal Toenail Treatment? While many types of medical treatments, procedures, and other alternatives often come with side effects and in some cases, serious problems, laser treatment is one of the safest options out there. In its time that podiatry specialists have used this on their patients, there have not been injuries, side effects, or other adverse reactions of any kind. It has been noted in the past that alternative treatments such as oral anti-fungal medications have played a big role in creating liver and kidney problems in some patients. But if you ditch the oral medication for laser treatment, you never have to worry about serious side effects.
- Will I be in Pain During The Laser Treatment? Not only will you not experience pain, you will probably not even feel any discomfort either. Laser treatment is so painless, in fact, that you do not even need anesthesia when receiving it. If you are like most patients, you will most likely experience a sensation of heat in the area that the laser is working. But other than this subtle feeling, you can safely receive laser treatment without any pain or discomfort.
- How Soon Will I be Able to Walk After The Laser Treatment? One of the most appealing aspects of laser treatment is that immediately following your appointment you will be able to get up and walk as you normally would. Unlike traditional surgeries and other procedures, you don’t have to wait days, weeks, or months to start walking on both feet again. You won’t even require a special medical shoe or boot following the laser treatment. You will be able to walk out of the podiatry center wearing the same shoes you wore there.
- How Exactly Does Laser Treatment Work? Beams of light are used to target certain parts of your toenail to effectively remove the fungal infection without affecting your toe or toenail in any way. The fungal pathogens hiding underneath your nail plate and nail bed are immediately destroyed by the wavelengths of the laser beams while leaving healthy tissue completely unharmed. As stated above, these lasers cause no pain to you and ensure that you could leave the podiatry center as soon as the treatment is done, rather than having to recover for several hours or days.
Have any other questions about laser treatment for fungal toenail infections? Don’t hesitate to contact us today for more information about this treatment and the many other foot care services we offer at our podiatry center. Our team is more than happy to answer all your questions related to our extensive podiatry services. Whether you need wound care services, foot care services for diabetic reasons, or treatment for an infection, you can turn to us!