Although often the brunt of old people jokes, bunions are a serious condition that can cause considerable pain. What exactly is a bunion? A bunion most often appears as bump on the side of the big toe, but that bump is just the outward physical sign of changes that have occurred in the bony framework of the foot. A bunion begins when a toe is misaligned, usually due to an inherited defect in the mechanical structure of the foot, and the pressure of walking causes the big toe to lean towards the second toe. As time goes on, the toe gets more and more out of line, gradually changing the angle of the bone and producing the telltale bump on the side of the toe. Bunions will appear red and inflamed and patients experience pain and burning at the site of the bunion and sometimes numbness. If you need bunion treatment in Nassau County, please request our services.
At Great Neck Family Foot Care, our board certified podiatrists can diagnose and advise you on the best treatment for your bunions with Bunion Treatment in Nassau County. Dr. Alec Hochstein and Dr. Diana Gagliano will take digital x-rays in their Great Neck office to determine the severity of your bunion.
Unfortunately, bunions do not go away and usually get worse over time but there are ways to reduce pain and discomfort:
- Change your footwear. Shoes should have a wide toe box and low heels.
- Place pads over the area of the bunion to help provide a cushion and minimize pain.
- Avoid standing for long periods of time.
- Apply an ice pack to the bunion site several times a day to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Take ibuprofen or other over the counter NSAIDs to relieve inflammation and pain.
- Try an orthotic device if your podiatrist recommends one to make walking more comfortable.
Bunion Treatment Nassau County
If you are in pain due to bunions, don’t wait, call our office today at 516-482-5999 or contact our Bunion Treatment in Nassau County office through our website today to set up an appointment.